Khin Maung Win (aka) Aung Chit

* 1958

  • AUNG CHIT SECOND CLIP At Ye Hyi Ai interrogation I was put under interrogation next day. It began after 7 pm. As far as I can imagine, according to what they told, they interrogated me until 2 to 3 am. Right at the entrance to the room, they put the hood over my head. I cannot see who the interrogator is. Who are standing beside. I can imagine people standing beside me by movements. I have to answer questions they ask without seeing them. According to the way I respond they kick.. beat slap the face/the temple.them kick me beat and kick hands and legs. That is what happened first days. Following days they did not give me water to drink at all they did not feed me neither.. They keep me without food until midnight, early morning. On third day I request to pee in toilet and since I cannot bear my thirst anymore I have to drink toilet water. Another thing is until they get the answer they want they insult me, they don't treat me as human being. It seems they don't care if I die. What matters is to get the answer they want. Because they ask me to ride bicycle..ride an aero-plane.ride a car. To make it visualized, they ask me to stretch like this.stretch legs as well as to make a sound of starting the engine.brrr.brrr. If the sound is low and soft, they kick… and beat me from behind. When they say speed up, I have to make it louder. It is tiresome when we are tired to make such a loud sound. And then with hands and legs stretched, heels lifted and pointed metal/sort of thorn put underneath, if we put down heels, the thorn/pointed metal hurts This is a serious torture, I believe.. It is even worse to be kicked with military boots...we have to be very cautious to respond as we are interrogated without getting a sleep..they wait for surprise to ask lasts 25 days to me..everyday I sustain mental as well as physical torturefor my forehead swollen..legs and hands swollen..pain in sore knees due to their beating they did not do anything The more the night gets deeper, the more terrifying the voices are.voices crying out because of their torturewe hear almost every night.I see nothing.hood being put over my head.I can see nothing.then I was sent straight to Insein prison..estimately after three months I was sent to military court.kept me under section 10(a)and then I was prosecuted under four criminal accountssection 17/1, 17/25(j).10(a) before military court..and convicted life imprisonment equivalent to 20 yearsit was mentioned like this. If they don't get the answer as they wish, they said " we will fire your brothers from job". I told them "please don't do this..I will answer to the question that I canMy brothers are taking care of the parentsI am the one who committed the crimeso you have the right to punish me..punish me only". I told to MI. In military court room, there are about 50 soldiers equipped with G3 (automatic rifle)record taking staff toothey take pictures.they are not reporters..they are from military taking legal representation evidence was presented to us.without evidence we are charged with State treason.I was sentenced to 20 years.

  • My name in N.R.C is Khin Maung Win. My code name is called Aung Chit when I am doing politics. My father is U Khin Maung and my mother is Daw Khin Tint. I was born on 3 November 1958. We have Groups and all these Groups are formed only with students. We are doing the political activities based on these Groups. I was involved in UG of Burma Communist Party. I was arrested on 20 July 1989. It was one day after the Martyrs’ Day and I heard that Daw Su was arrested on the same day too. At that time, I was working at Insein Locomotive Workshop as Supervisor. On that day, I was coming to the workshop and I arrived at around 7 am. Normally, they gave Gate Pass for every entrance and exit but they said all the Gate Passes were prohibited just 15 minutes before I went back. They didn’t say why. It was unusual and something strange. We had intercom in the workshop and manager called me through it. So, I went there and about six person were sitting beside manager and it seems they were military intelligence. I reported to manager upon my arrival and military intelligence asked me whether I have other name or not. I refused and he said “is that Aung Chit is you?” I admitted that it was me. Then, he asked whether I know Dr. Nay Win and I answered yes. Therefore, they told that they will take me with them. I asked “how long” and they said “they will send me back by evening.” I asked for my manager’s approval and he allowed me to go with them. So, I followed them. After crossing Insein flyover bridge, they let me walk from the front and they were carrying bags. They were walking from my back. There was no one either on the bridge or at the Insein railways station. I knew that I was taken by MI but I wasn’t afraid at all because I believe that I have done the right thing. I had a clear decision that I will take all the punishments if it was wrong. Therefore, I calmly followed them and there were four light trucks stopped at the bottom of the railways station slope. They asked me to get in. When I was on the light truck, they handcuffed my hand behind my back and put the hood over my head. So, I couldn’t see anything. At that time, they were insulting me from beside me and told me as messy guy and destroying guy for the country. Then, they kicked me on the truck and took me somewhere. But I am very familiar with Insein area and, so, I knew where they are heading. They stopped by at intelligence (9). They stopped and left me there for a while. At night, they took me again but I didn’t know the place since they they were heading to Mingalardon. I thought it was Yay Kyi Aing. We arrived to Yay Kyi Aing around 9 pm and send me to the detention. Upon my arrival, they took 2 pictures from the front view and side view. There was no investigation at that night. I was alone in the detention room which was built with wood and the room size is 8 ft x 12 ft. It was dark. When I was sleeping, they said who allow you to sleep. When I was standing up, they said who allow you to stand up and who order you to do that. When I was laying down, they said again. They told me every 15 minutes and I couldn’t do anything whether sleeping, sitting or standing up. If I was walking, they insulted me too. I thought they was good and I understand that it was Mental Torture. It is also understandable that there was Physical Torture as I couldn’t stay in any position due to their interruption.

Soft and gentle but firm in belief

Ko Aung Chit (aka) Ko Khin Maung Win is a former government employee and he worked at Myanma Railways, Locomotive Workshop (Insein) as a Supervisor. He was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for his engagements as a UG of Burma Communist Party and he was detained in 3 prisons from 1989 to 1997. He was freed due to torture during interrogation and poor health care service in the prison. Now, he is suffering from heart arrhythmia, hypertension and paralysis. Ko Aung Chit (aka) Ko Khin Maung Win was born in Phyu, Bago Region on 3 November 1958. His parents are U Khin Maung and Daw Khin Tint. He is the third one among five brothers and sisters. He has one elder brother, one elder sister and two younger brothers. He attended Bago Regional College and then hardly passed the admission to attend RIT. He received B.E (Mechanical) Degree in 1986. He started communicating with Burma Communist Party since this third year YIT student life. Starting from 1986, he hardly published the documents and spread them at markets, schools and universities to promote public awareness on politics and to remove one party dictatorship system. Therefore, military intelligence detained him at Insein locomotive workshop on 20 July 1989. He was interrogated very intensely in Yay Kyi Eain for 25 days and charged at Insein Prison Court under section 5(j), 17 (1) (2) and 10 (a). He was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment. He spent almost 8 years in Insein Prison, Mandalay Palace Prison and Mandalay Obo Prison from 1989 to 1997. Now, he opens stationary and journal retailing shop in Phyu. He is suffering from paralysis and surviving very poorly.