Hermina Musilová

* 1928

  • “Then my boy was two years old. On the German side, they didn’t mind if you went right up to the border, but the Czechs wouldn’t let people past Domažlice or thereabouts. He got permission from the committee to go to the border, to see his son. So the committee confirmed that he could see the boy. My boy was two years old then, I won’t forget that. So we came there, my mum and dad came with me to the border. It was a big hall – what do you call it? [Q: You can say it in German.] A waiting room, Wartesaal, and it was divided up with planks, long planks – Czechs here, Germans here, the guards were having a laugh. Two soldiers brought my boyfriend in. My boy couldn’t speak Czech, he was dependent on us. ‘Pass us that boy.’ The boy screamed, so he gave him back to us.”

  • “But we didn’t have anything left. We really only had the one set of clothes we were wearing. I don’t even know any more. And we travelled in wagons. [Q: What kind of wagons were they?] Cattle wagons, which would be closed. When they stopped somewhere, they opened them. You could go to the toilet in a bucket. Then a few blokes came up, brought some black coffee to drink. That was it. My cousin was four years old at the time, and he kept screaming: ‘I want to go home, I want home!’ He didn’t like the dark. That’s the kind of transport it was. When we left Jihlava, another train came up from Brno – so many wagons – they hitched them up, added more wagons in Havlíčkův Brod. Then they said: ‘And now we’re crossing the border.’ We stopped there, Red Cross came to meet us. So many people, they didn’t know where to put us. We came to a gym hall. People were lying on straw. Then they sorted us out, and the wagons carried on. Some went to Württemberk, who was a factory worker. Who was a farmer, stayed in Bavaria. We stayed in Bavaria. And I was seven months pregnant at the time.”

  • “Then in 1946 suddenly everyone left, but a few of us German families still remained there. And they said: ‘All Germans out!’ So the last of us Germans left. We came to the camp in Jihlava. Then we were carted off in wagons. That was in Staré Hory, in an old factory there, where we stayed for a fortnight or a week or so. And suddenly they said: ‘Take what you’ve still got with you, you’re leaving today by train.’ So we left.”

  • “And there (Helenín near Jihlava, editor´s note) we were in the lager. And they said: ‚You all go away in the transport to Germany. You take, whatever you go and you can go...‘ From the transport and there was an army. So we passed through the door, where they sprayed us with some kind of DDT. They said: ‚Take only what you can carry in your hands, anything extra should be left at the gate and the car will bring it to the station.‘ They took us to the station, and when we got there, there were plenty of people, wagons from Brno came and so on. Well we never saw any of our luggage. The train, get in the carriages for cattle transportation. Get on, over twenty people or I don’t know how many, there were in the carriage and off we went. No luggage anywhere. No one cared to bring it anymore.”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Stonařov 105, u pamětnice doma, 22.04.2015

    duration: 53:56
    media recorded in project The Stories of Our Neigbours
  • 2

    Stonařov, 27.08.2020

    duration: 01:33:19
  • 3

    Stonařov, 20.11.2020

    duration: 06:59
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

All Germans, out!

Hermina Musilová (1950)
Hermina Musilová (1950)
photo: archives of the witness

Hermina Musilová, née Schebesta, was born in Stonařov, on her parents’ family farm, on 3 April 1928. The Schebestas were Germans. The witness attended primary school in Stonařov and then tended the farm with her parents. She experienced the Wehrmacht retreating through her village, liberation by the Soviet army, and the arrival of Revolutionary Guards. In 1946, seven months pregnant, she was deported to Germany with the rest of the family. The unborn child’s father, Miroslav Musil, was a Czech, and when the Schebestas left he took over their farm. In 1950 the authorities allowed the witness to return to Stonařov, where she then married Miroslav Musil. The following summer she gave birth to a daughter, Marie. In 1957 the Musils were coerced into joining their farm to the local agricultural cooperative. Until her retirement, the witness worked at the co-op’s cow barn. As of 2020, Hermina Musilová lived in Stonařov.