Editha Krejčová

* 1930

  • "When I went to Germany because I went to see my sister, every time I came back, he [StB] was there to examine me for safety. They always wanted to know who I was in touch with, what I was saying there. Of course, I did not associate politically with anyone. Every time I came back, I was examined. I went there regularly every four years. So they investigated me. Sometimes they called me out in the factory and asked me what was going on. "

  • "My mother was alone in Olomouc because her stepfather was deployed in Germany. It was a bad time for her because they had little money. They were still paying off debts for the house. It was pretty cruel for them. There was very little money and food only for tickets. There was no other help from the other side. I was coughing up blood and my brother had something with his heart from the lack of food. "

  • "When it happened and I was kicked out of a restaurant here, my stepfather got me a certificate in the village that I could go everywhere. There was a fair in Šanov, so my father said that we were going there. There was a ballroom, so we went dancing. I was sixteen. As soon as I was there, they said, 'Close the door, there's a German here. We have to do the checks ‘They came straight to our table, I had a German ID - green, the Czechs had a yellow. They asked me for an identity card, so I gave them the ID. They said, 'What do you think, you're German and you're here ?!' I gave them the confirmation from the village and the inspection was over, I've had peace ever since. "

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Červená Voda , 08.10.2021

    duration: 01:01:58
    media recorded in project Příběhy regionu - HRK REG ED
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

She wanted to be a teacher, but she had to work in a textile factory

Editha Wurstová in 1948
Editha Wurstová in 1948
photo: archiv pamětníka

Editha Krejčová was born on August 23, 1930 in Hanušovice into a German family. Father Jindřich Wurst (1902–1944) was a glazier, mother Berta (1904–1982) helped him in the family business. When Editha was four years old, her parents divorced. They both had new relationships, from which two children were born to the father and son to the mother. The mother married Czech Dominik Macek and they moved to Červená Voda. Editha spent the war with her mother and stepbrother in Olomouc, where her stepfather was transferred as a postmaster. However, he was totally deployed in Germany for two years, so they stayed in Olomouc on their own. The children were hungry and sick from hunger. Father Jindřich Wurst had to enlist at the very beginning of the war and never returned. After the war, Editha returned to Červená Voda, and the year after the war was the worst of her life. Initially, German women had to hide from Soviet soldiers. She wanted to go to study and become a teacher, but as a German she could not, so she started cleaning at the local hospital. In October 1946, the vast majority of Červená Voda residents, including all of Edith’s relatives (except her mother), left for Germany. She also wanted to leave because she didn’t see a good perspective here, but her changed her mind. Her stepfather got her confirmation from the village that she was staying in Czechoslovakia so that she would not have to face the discriminatory behavior of some people. When she left her cleaning job, she joined the Perla Červená Voda textile factory, where she worked all her life. In 1952 she married Vincenc Krejčí (1927–2011) and in 1952 and 1958 they had two sons. Editha went to see her relatives in Germany every four years. She was interrogated by the StB each time she returned. The younger son emigrated to Germany in the summer of 1989. A weight was lifted from the whole family’s hearts thanks to the revolutionary changes of November 1989, because they were finally able to resume normal contact. In 2021 she lived in Králíky.