Jaroslav Hlubůček

* 1929  

  • “One such tragicomic incident happened at the funeral of one of my friends… his name was Jirka Malý, a construction technician. He rode a motorcycle and killed himself on his way to his fiancée in Chomutov. Of course, our whole unit had to attend the funeral. In addition to the commander´s speech, the civilian, the chairman of the trade union movement, said: 'Thank you, mate, for the work you have done, live long and well... ' We all got froze, but when there was a chance, we said to each other: ´Well, we work among such folks.'”

  • “There it bothered me that we were made idiots by people with perhaps only basic school education. That was a disaster. But on the other hand, we made beautiful friendships there, because there were many priests, a lot of people from the foreign army in England, so we had a chance to talk, have fun and somehow the military service was running fast, though difficult, we were still able to have a good time.”

  • Just before they came to nationalize, my dad´s friend called from the savings bank to advise him not to keep secret any of his claims from abroad or the details of his financial situation here... 'They already knew it all, so be open in that regard in order to avoid further damages, or otherwise they lock you up immediately.'”

  • “And when the Gestapo arrested Dad in 1944 and took him to the Pečkárna, Dad returned about three weeks later, saying that he was suddenly summoned to a doctor and he said he was sick and released him. The doctor told him to thank his business friends from Jablonec. We still do not know who they were, who saved my dad from the concentration camp and that he returned from Pečkárna.”

  • “I was totally deployed in Zelezny Brod - we were building roadblocks, sorting out queues from the front... and quite disgusting things - because those clothes were not cleaned, we sorted them for cleaning. So there were bloody leftover fingers in the gloves ... That wasn't quite appropriate at my age.”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Liberec, 25.09.2019

    duration: 01:22:31
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

Whatever the situation, one had to go on.

Jaroslav Hlubůček was born on February 10, 1929 to a business family as the third of four children. Father Jaroslav and mother Marie led their children to diligence and sports activities. His father ran a prosperous glass factory in Železný Brod and wanted his son Jaroslav to continue in his footsteps. Jaroslav, as a six-year-old schoolboy, welcomed Edvard Beneš in his hometown in 1935. In 1943 he had to leave grammar school in Turnov and was called to total deployment in the place of residence, where he cleaned military uniforms. In May 1945 he joined the Sokol Revolutionary Guard and on May 8, on the way to Jablonec nad Nisou, he experienced a German air raid. In the ranks of the revolutionary guard supervised order in Jablonec nad Nisou and experienced the arrival of the Red Army. After the war he joined the local business academy, where he thrived in studying foreign languages. Due to a cadre assessment, as an active falcon and son from a business family, he could not study college and in 1952 enlisted to the Auxiliary Technical Battalions (PTP). In 1953 he applied for a marriage permit, and then had two daughters, Ivana and Dana, with his wife. In 1955 he returned as a company dispatcher to a former family business and in 1970 he became director, although he was never a member of the Communist Party. After the Velvet Revolution Jaroslav took over the former family business again and tried to preserve the legacy of the glass industry in the region.