Anna Halátová, rod. Korbeľová

* 1923  †︎ 2010

  • “In mid-December--it was on the 18th--a German unit came to our village Jabloňovce. The command divided soldiers by two being lodged in each house, about which they knew its inhabitants were engaged in partisan action. We accommodated one lieutenant and an ordinary soldier in our house. They didn´t want to sleep anywhere else, but only in the room, where other members of our family slept. Since my father was a member of the Revolutionary National Committee, he was still in touch with partisans. He didn´t use to lock the door for the night, as they would often come and sleep over. However, that night, when we had to lodge the Germans, partisans came as well. There came Ján Pešek and Vincent Leštiansky in their ushanka hats. The Germans both sat on their beds and our family didn´t know what was about to happen. My father persuaded the partisan boys to let the Germans be as there was their whole company in our village. If they took these men, other Germans would come and kill off our whole family. Thus the partisans left, but the Germans didn´t fall back to sleep all night long. In the morning, the whole company gathered and in four lines marched from the village towards Žabia hora. There, near the gulley Vozárska, partisans opened the crossfire. This way the Germans were disarmed, captured, and taken to Pukanec, where they stayed detained at the local authority´s conference room.”

  • “My husband was also in a partisan unit. Near Vrútky he dropped his ID from the shirt, which was later found next to some dead soldier. He was declared dead after the war, and they made him a memorial plaque at that place as well. However, he didn´t die. He was captured by Germans in Považská valley and transported to prison in Nitra. My older brother-in-law was a director of the School of Economics. Thanks to a prison guard he found out his brother was in prison. Unfortunately, when he arrived to the prison, my husband had already been moved to Sereď and later from there to the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen. He survived and returned home in May 1945, but after the war, when communists began to persecute partisans, he sharply opposed and in the end he emigrated abroad.”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    neznáme, 18.03.2016

    duration: 27:27
    media recorded in project Stories of the 20th century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

I am proud I took part in the Uprising. Today we are threatened by neofascism, and thus it is a must to publish our deeds and educate young generation.

Anna Halátová, coming from the village of Jabloňovce, was in 1944 employed as an administrative assistant at the tax office in Banská Štiavnica. Thanks to her typing skills and good references from her grammar school professor, after the outbreak of the Slovak National Uprising she transferred to the Revolutionary National Committee. However, this committee was soon evacuated out of the city because of approaching Nazi troops. Anna Halátová subsequently joined the partisan unit called, “Sitno,” and took part in battles, specifically in Pohronie region. Her group was invaded by a German unit, Edelweiss, at the end of November 1944 near the mill in Počúvadlo. She managed to escape home and continued to participate in liberation battles of Pukanec and Levice. For her, a partisan, the war ended on March 3, 1945.