Milan Grulich

* 1935

  • At that time, the airport, on the twenty-first [August], was in the lockout. The day before, imagine, it was a complete coincidence - our planes flew to Čáslav, so there were already working machines at the airport to adjust the airport. So our airport was inaccessible for aircraft landing. So we didn't have to do anything there. A Russian reconnaissance plane was just known to have flown over the airport, and that announced the situation at the airport. So on the first day that planes landed at other airports, nothing landed in Pardubice. "

  • “I came home, now I told my parents I was going to war tomorrow. Well, they were shocked. Well, of course my father hit me once, I got over my mouth. Well, Mom, she cried, she shed a few tears. But now my parents said to me: 'Please, for the war, you will cry there, there will be discipline, there you will cry how they will chase you there ... "

  • "And I remember that very event when - that was in March, my father took a grocery cart and a bottle of a distillate there and gave it to the soldiers. I think it was two soldiers who just lay there somewhere and guarded the soldiers digging the trenches. And of course, the soldiers ate that, drunk that, and fell asleep, and the Kyjov residents welcomed that, because they went home and the work was over. We didnt have any problems because of that, as the soldiers were afraid to report it to their superiors. So the Kyjov residents celebrated my father, because he took care of them.”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    u pamětníka doma, v Pardubicích, 15.10.2018

    duration: 01:16:45
    media recorded in project The Stories of Our Neigbours
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

Our aircraft was inaccessible for aircraft landing

Mr. Grulich as a kid - with a gas mask
Mr. Grulich as a kid - with a gas mask
photo: archiv pamětníka

Milan Grulich was born on May 17, 1935 in Brno. His parents ran a restaurant at the local National House, but after the building was managed by the National Solidarity, they moved to Kyjov. They then had the Slavia restaurant on Kyjov Square. It was in Kyjov that Milan spent most of the war and the dramatic events at the end of it - for example, his father was briefly imprisoned for serving Germans in his restaurant. Milan was already drawn to army after the war, but as the son of a tradesman, he was not welcome in the People’s Army. At first he went to study as a lathe operator, but his dream eventually came true, he graduated from several military schools and became an aircraft mechanic. He has lived in Pardubice since 1958. He also experienced the occupation of Czechoslovakia at the Pardubice airport in August 1968 and, together with other soldiers, refused to help the occupiers. He remained in the army until 1985, when he was forced to leave due to his brother’s emigration to the West. In civilian life, he then made a living as a foreman at a vocational school, and has been retired since 1990.