Hildegarda Pawlusová

* 1929  

  • “My father got a draft notice somewhere around the beginning of the spring and had to join the army. It was really hard to say goodbye. My dad said that he would probably have a six-week training and that they would then take him to the front. We were afraid and waiting where they would send him. We were afraid of Russia the most. One day, we finally got a message. Daddy was writing us from France. He was lucky. He was in France in the big Port of Le Havre. And the soldiers were guarding the port there, the buildings there and everything that belonged to it. And dad was one of them.”

  • “An armed Russian soldier approached me and shouted horribly. I don´t know what he was shouting because I did not understand. I could hear a word German several times. He grabbed me, was shaking me violently and was shouting at me. He was pushing me to the edge of the road and he pushed me violently and shouted at me. I fell on my face and was lying there. The captives started to grumble. But the soldier probably wanted to prove that he was the boss and he started hitting my back with a rifle butt. He was beating me and swearing. When he was done raging, he stopped and they continued towards Těšín. I was lying there shaken. I was actually glad that he did not shoot me.”

  • “They came for uncle František before anything happened. They chose him and did not say why, did not say how he had offended their big Reich. They arrested him and sent to a labour camp in occupied Poland. It was not a concentration camp, it was not a common prison; it was something in between, it was a labour camp.”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Karviná, 14.02.2016

    duration: 01:35:07
    media recorded in project Soutěž Příběhy 20. století
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

Life for a bottle of vodka

Hildegarda Pawlusová in the 1950s
Hildegarda Pawlusová in the 1950s
photo: soutěž

Hildegarda Pawlusová, née Fusíková was born on 5 November 1929 in Mosty near Český Těšín. She first went to a Polish and then to a German school in the area of Těšín. Her father Josef Fusík (born in 1906) was during WWII as a soldier of the Wehrmacht called to the French Port of Le Havre where he served as a guard. He was hurt during the Normandy invasion and he was taken captive by the British, however he managed to survive it and after the war he returned to his family on 1 November 1945. Her uncle František Fusík (born in 1910) was during the war sent to a labour camp in an occupied Polish area and he was enlisted in 1945. He was taken captive by the Soviets after liberation in 1945 and he died there. Witness describes how his father tried unsuccessfully to save his son František. Hildegarda Pawlusová was living in Karviná in 2016.