Marie Marešová

* 1936

  • "My father was in the People's Party. We lived in a neighborhood where people were house to house in the Communist Party. So the whole neighborhood was against us because father drove his car there. People were angry that he was spraying in their windows. Besides, we were religious, so it was bad. And it was the street committee from that neighborhood that declared that the Hulik children would not go to school. At home they spoke differently, at school they weren't allowed to talk about it. It was kind of double life, pretention. But we were quite so proud that we were believers and that nothing could happen to us."

  • "One had to be heroic and just decide to handle the situation. The situation was put in front of us... Because we're believers, again, we communicated with our Lord, God, and I think that gave strength. I never had any intention of leaving him. No, I didn't. Stan appreciated that and said that in that prison many wives left their partners when they didn't have them at home. Or fiancées or whatever..."

  • "We would just not only go singing, but then we would split up into these little groups and we would meet in families, in groups of three, five or so - and I think I told you this on the phone - that we were being educated in the faith. We studied the New Testament, the Old Testament, and whatever was important at that time. And then somebody... somebody didn't like it or we don't know... It's possible that somebody knew where it came from, but I don't know myself. Somebody just said we were doing some underground activity or we were meeting outside... Like faith was allowed at that time, but what was happening around it was not allowed anymore. Or directly it wasn't forbidden, but it was prosecuted, at least I think so. Well, and it was just said that we used to meet in these circles somewhere, in families, and somebody always organized it - the leader of the circle. And unfortunately, suddenly they started investigating, arresting, searching... So my husband, who was also the leader of a boys' club - I didn't go there - was arrested at the Faculty of Science, where he was an assistant."

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Praha, 16.06.2021

    duration: 01:03:03
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
  • 2

    Praha 8, 07.07.2021

    duration: 01:05:17
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

We were proud to be believers, to whom nothing bad can happen

Wedding of Marie Marešova (1961)
Wedding of Marie Marešova (1961)
photo: Archiv Marie Marešové

Marie Marešová, nee. Hulíková, was born on 18 January 1936 in Tábor. Her parents ran a laundry for the whole town. They raised their three children in the faith, and her father was a member of the Czechoslovak People’s Party. The street committee in the place of residence refused to give Maria and her older brother a recommendation to study at secondary school. The witness eventually graduated from the School of Common Catering, majoring in nutrition. Afterwards she worked as a worker in Prague. Stanislav Mareš became her boyfriend. Together they participated in the life of a Christian community - the Vyšehrad congregation, whose members gradually began to receive religious education in small groups. In the autumn of 1960, investigations and arrests began within the congregation’s circle. Seven persons, including Stanislav Mareš, were sentenced to sentences of one and a half to three years for so-called obstruction of church supervision. Stanislav Mareš was given two and a half years. Since both young people had applied for a cooperative apartment and had been selected, they decided to marry remotely while Stanislav was imprisoned. His twin brother Francis, who had power of attorney, represented him at the ceremony. Stanislav was released after an amnesty in May 1962. After that, the witness and her husband lived together until his death in 2016 and raised four children.