Jan Jurášek

* 1936  

  • "At the time the highest punishments were for murder, arson and sabotage. There was a huge drought in 1947. Something similar as there was two years ago, I guess. They planted sugar beets on the farm but they wouldn’t grow. And thus the groundskeeper and my father were accused of sabotage."

  • They brought their people there and the economy was such that the guy who used to work as a farmhand received a tractor. A crawler. So he rode his crawler and forgot that there must be water in the cooler. Thus, of course, he destroyed the crawler tractor, they were mostly already Russian production. And so the economy unfolded. And it ended up that when the system changed in the 1990s, the farm was stolen.

  • „In the first grade, of course, we immediately started learning German. We had to hail. And when our teacher came into class, we had to get up, he stepped onto the podium, raised his hand, and chanted: ,Heil Hitler!‘ And we, as children, not knowing what it was: ‚Sieg Heil!‘ And then he went: ‚Sitzen sie.‘ So we sat down and class began.“

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Zlín, 27.08.2020

    duration: 02:04:45
    media recorded in project Příběhy regionu - STM REG ED
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

At the time of the Přerov uprising, our whole family’s life was at stake

Jan Jurášek in 2020
Jan Jurášek in 2020
photo: The photograph was taken on set

Jan Jurášek was born on November 16 1936 in the settlement of Kamenec near the village of Skalička, not far from Přerov. His father Augustin Jurášek worked during the Second World War as a shepherd on a farm in Horní Moštěnice. He experienced the Přerov uprising, which broke out on May 1, 1945. His father, along with other men, joined the rebels in Horní Moštěnice, where they disarmed several Germans living on the farm. The uprising was bloodily suppressed and the Germans returned for their weapons. Before getting them back, they threatened to blow up the entire farm. In 1949, the Communists accused Augustin Jurášek of sabotage; the pretense was a failed beetroot crop. He spent several months in the Pilsen prison in Bory. Despite a poor dossier, the witness was able to graduate from an industrial high school thanks to his excellent achievements. He worked, among other things, in the companies Meopta and Přerov machinery. During the Prague Spring of 1968, he welcomed the revival process and bore the brunt of the Warsaw Pact invasion. During the period of normalization, he had difficulty finding a job corresponding to his engineering qualifications. In 2020 he lived in Kostelec u Holešova.