Libuše Hrdinová

* 1929

  • "It was over the line, what was accepted, what Husák was pushing for, what he wanted to do. So, in September 1969 I resigned from all positions. I left both the Central Committee of the Communist Party and the Municipal Committee. However, I did not resign from the party. And do you know why? Because I wanted to wait for them to have me expelled. Because only then could it be seen that I [disagreed]. Someone stepped out of the party so as not to harm… I wanted to be expelled because I did not agree with that policy. That was it. And, of course, it happened."

  • "Someone called me from the 5th gate, which we entered in the locomotive Skoda factory, saying that I had lost my factory ID. I said to him, 'I have it with me. I have not lost anything. 'He said,' Come immediately. We have some complaints here. Come immediately! ‘So, I got dressed and went. I was just celebrating my birthday; we were sitting there [with colleagues]. I told them, 'Please clean the things up here. I don't like where this is going…‘ As soon as I came out on the main road that led to the 5th gate, a guy came up to me. He grabbed me. They threw me in the car and took me to the Bory prison. I was there from one o'clock to nine in the evening. I told them to take me back to the locomotive factory for my things. They took me back. I took my things and then I went home. Of course, my husband knew nothing. He didn't know where I was, what I was doing… It was the first experience of this kind."

  • "[The State Security officers] were provoking. For example: I had Charter 77 with me a long time ago and I found out that someone had put it in my inbox. So, I took it, and when they invited me in for questioning, I returned it to them. I told them, ‘here you have the Charter.’ Because I knew it was a provocation from their side. Or another thing: The liaison called me to say that someone from West Berlin needed to talk to me. I said, 'I don't know anyone there.' And I hung up. In a moment, 'You have a connection here. You have to take it! And I hung up again. Then, I got angry and I took the phone off the hook. And after a while a State Security officer came: 'What is happening? Is your phone not working?'"

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Plzeň, 23.08.2017

    duration: 01:19:18
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
  • 2

    Plzeň, 22.01.2018

    duration: 01:10:21
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
  • 3

    Plzeň, 12.07.2018

    duration: 15:57
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

From a member of the board of the Central Committee of the Communist Party to “an enemy person”

Libuše Hrdinová in 1968
Libuše Hrdinová in 1968
photo: archive of the witness

Libuše Hrdinová was born on April 10, 1929 in Pilsen. She grew up in Starý Plzenec. She graduated from the Higher Industrial School of Mechanical Engineering in Pilsen. After the high school graduation, she joined Škoda’s plants. She worked in the construction of cranes and later in vocational education, where she trained the company’s employees. She joined the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia at the age of 18. Gradually, she rose in the party rankings to the very top - the Municipal Committee of the Communist Party, the presidency of the Municipal Committee. In 1966, she performed as a delegate to the XIII. Congress of the Communist Party and was elected to the Central Committee of the Communist Party. In August 1968, she strongly condemned the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia. At the Vysočany Congress in August 1968, she was elected a member of the highest power body of the presidency of the Central Committee of the Communist Party. She also presented the opinions of the Vysočany Congress at the Congress of the Communist Party of Slovakia in Bratislava. In September 1969, she resigned from all positions because she did not agree with Husák’s policy. Subsequently, she was expelled from the Communist Party and became an unwanted person. She worked at Locomotive factory in Škoda, but her career was stopped. She was interrogated and monitored by the State Security. Her husband was fired, her daughters had trouble studying. In the 1980s, she joined the Obroda - Club for Socialist Reconstruction. After 1989, she was no longer politically active, concentrating on family life.