Jindřich Hořenín

* 1933  

  • “What happened was that when Germans arrived somewhere and people there shot some of them, the repercussions were thirty people for one German – whether they were innocent or not. They simply shot thirty people and that was it. It didn’t happen in our village, but in a village about three kilometers away from us, I don’t remember what it was called. I think the name of the village was Moldava. The Germans simply shot thirty people there.”

  • “Then there were rumours that three or four more villages were also on the list of villages which were to be burnt down by the Germans. Our village was included in that list. My father immediately dug a hole under the window from our room, which was to serve as a shelter, and he covered it so that it would not be visible, and we planned that we would jump out from that window, run to the stable and then from the stable run through the hallway into this shelter. But I don’t know how it would have worked if it had really happened.”

  • “There were three Germans in our house, they slept there. Of course they slept inside the house, otherwise they could have even have us evicted from our home. One of them was a Sudetenland German, and he spoke perfect Czech. And then there were two others who were Germans through and through. The German from Sudetenland kept talking about how Hitler had not started the war and that it was all because of Beneš. When he left, one of those other Germans who noticed that my dad could speak German warned him: ‘Look, watch out for him, he is enough of a bastard, and if you said something, he could inform upon you.’ And this was a pureblooded German who said this to my dad!”

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Újezd nad Lesy, Roudnice nad Labem, 24.06.2015

    duration: 01:43:01
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

We did not even miss Volhynia

Jindřich Hořenín
Jindřich Hořenín
photo: archiv pamětníka

Jindřich Hořenín was born October 8, 1933 in Mirohošť, in the Volhynian area in northwestern Ukraine where a numerous Czech minority used to live. He spent the Second World War there when he was a young boy - at first he experienced the Soviet occupation, then the German occupation and at last the liberation by the Red Army. His father died in combat at Dukla where he went to fight with the 1st Czechoslovak Army Corps. Together with most of other Volhynian Czechs, the family moved back to Czechoslovakia after the war based on an international agreement on their repatriation.