Evženie Hamplová

* 1933

  • “Soviet soldiers were passing through villages and forcibly collecting deliveries from the people. From time to time they encountered some group of Bandera’s soldiers and there were shooting incidents, too. One day, there was a gunfight near Libánovka behind Pugačevka, and four soldiers were then taken to us. Radio operators told me to come and have a look, and so I, a thirteen-year-old girl, went there. They placed them on planks on the table, with their heads next to each other. They had stars carved into their faces, and their hands and legs were pierced through, and one of them even had a slightly scalped head. It was not nice. Grandma was angry at them that they brought them into our house. She then rushed to the military command and she argued that we already had a hospital in our house, and so why not a morgue, too, and why could not they place them in some other place in the village, and why they had to send all of them just to the Hajný family. But she did not accomplish anything by that. She went to Máslenka and she made a fuss that she did not want to have them there because we had to walk around those corpses and wait until their families were notified and buried them.”

  • „Pamatuji si, že se mi tam strašně strašně dýchalo, protože jsme leželi na bednách až pod stropem a tam už bylo k ránu málo vzduchu. Věčně jsme stáli někde v polích a věčně se vybíralo buď jídlo nebo peníze, protože nás zastavili a ťukali na koleje a na kola. A zase, že se dál nepojede. Tak se muselo podplatit, abychom ujeli dalších pár kilometrů. Tak jsme projížděli okolo Karpat. Hrůza. To trvalo a trvalo. Vzpomínám si, že některým vagónům chyběla jedna část. Dobytek byl nastavený hlavama k sobě, uprostřed byla ulička s krmením a ta jedna strana byla bez prken. Takže když to hrklo a dobytek by se utrhl, tak by to byla katastrofa. Nás táhly třeba dvě lokomotivy, jedna ze předu a druhá zezadu a když se to točilo v oblouku, tak jsme viděli jen kouř z lokomotivy a neviděli konec vlaku.“

  • „Tatínek šel do stodoly pro seno pro dobytek. Jak vzal otýpku, tak pod ní seděl starej Žid s chlapcem. Řekl to dědečkovi, protože ten tam šel taky. Asi dva dny se tam schovávali. Jenže my jsme měli čeledína a děvečku, a tak se báli, že by je mohli vidět a prozradit a Židovi řekli, že je to u nás nebezpečné. Čeledíni byli většinou Ukrajinci a báli se, že by je udal. Dědeček jim tam dával jídlo, ale táta říkal, že jednou tam šel a už tam nebyli. Jak se jim podařilo utéct, nevím.“

  • “Miška was sewing, grandma was lying in the first bed, and Vladimír and I were jumping over the beds again and again. We were making noise, and we could not hear anything. But, once we jumped up, and I looked up, and there was a man with a rifle standing by the window above me. I managed to shout at Vláďa, and I reached for him to push him down to the floor. A shot was fired, and there was a groan, and Miška dropped to the ground. We were lying on the bed in terror. Grandma jumped up, and she rushed to the window, and she shouted that they had killed Miška. Grandpa was yelling at her, and the Ukrainian--he must have been from there because he spoke half Czech--shouted at us: ‘Shut up, or I will kill you all’!"

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Šumperk, 09.08.2017

    duration: 04:11:26
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
  • 2

    Jeseník, 07.07.2020

    duration: 03:05:02
    media recorded in project Stories of the region - Central Moravia
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

Children grew up very quickly during the War

Evženie Hajná (Hamplová) - graduation photo
Evženie Hajná (Hamplová) - graduation photo
photo: archiv pamětnice

Evženie Hamplová, née Hajná, was born December 30th, 1933, in Dorohostaje in the Dubno governorate, Volhynia, in the then Poland (present-day Ukraine). She witnessed many events during the Second World War. Her father, Václav Hajný, worked as an accountant in a kolkhoz during the Soviet occupation of Volhynia. A former official, her father had to continually hide from the Bandera’s units. During the German occupation of Volhynia, the family was providing a hiding place for a Jewish boy and his grandfather in their barn. Right in their home, about one metre away from Evženie, Bandera’s soldiers shot Soviet soldier Mikhail Suchobokov to death. Evženie’s father joined the resistance organization of Volhynian Czechs called Blaník. At the end of the war, a Soviet army hospital was established in their house, and Evženie saw bodies of Soviet soldiers that were brutally mutilated by the Bandera’s army. The political development had an impact on the family’s life as well. In March 1944, Evženie’s father joined the 1st Czechoslovak Army Corps. He served as a non-commissioned officer of education in the Military Defence Intelligence (OBZ) under the command of Bedřich Reicin, who was later responsible for several show trials that resulted in politically motivated executions. While Evženie’s father became a supporter and a member of the Communist Party, he was among the few in their family. Evženie’s mother despised communism, and even Evženie’s husband, Miroslav Hampl, (whose story is also in the Archive), spent two years in prison for having helped some prisoners. Her brother, Vladimír, was the only one who signed Charter 77 in Šumperk. Evženie Hamplová has been living in Šumperk since her re-emigration from Volhynia, and she has been working there as a nurse in a hospital until her retirement.