Naděžda Halásková

* 1927  

  • "Yeah, the Germans were there too. I even remember that we [with my sister] I were going Kaliště for milk to that farm there. And as we were returning home, the Germans simply arrived there. I don't know what it was about back then - and people were running away because I don't know ... maybe there was even some shooting there… And that was in, oh God, what year it could have been? When a person does not write it down… the memory just… So, I know that some people were running through my father's garden. There was a wire fence. One guy almost got stuck there! They were shooting at them from the station somehow or from the Sokol house, I don't know where it came from. It was absolutely terrible."

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Ústí nad Orlicí, 13.08.2019

    duration: 54:00
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

Tourism was my love

Naděžda Halásková, 1949
Naděžda Halásková, 1949
photo: archive of the witness

Naděžda Halásková, née Kovárníková, was born on August 18, 1927 in Měcholupy u Žatce. Her father Čeněk Kovárník was a gardener and her mother Vlasta helped him. In 1930, the family moved to Brandýs nad Orlicí. The witness had two younger siblings: Libuše was born in 1929 and Milan in 1933. All the children helped, especially in the autumn, in the family garden center. In 1938, Naděžda was on holiday at her uncle´s place in Vienna. After primary school, she graduated from a two-year business school in Vysoké Mýto in 1944 and started working at the railway station as a cashier. On May 5, 1945, she experienced the fighting of the May Uprising in Brandýs nad Orlicí, when German soldiers killed 15 locals. Some of them were running away through the Kovárník´s garden. In 1949, Naděžda married Josef Halásek (1922–1990) and in 1950–1954 they had three children. In 1955 she started working, first cooking in a kindergarten, then working in a pioneer house and later teaching. In 1960, the Halásek family moved to Choceň and Naděžda joined the primary school as a group leader of a pioneer organization. Together with her colleague, they were doing tourism with adults and children in 1961–1982 under TJ Spartak Choceň. Together they went on hiking, skiing and cycling trips throughout the country and abroad. Naděžda also did performance tourism and after completing her credit trips, in 1971 she received the title of Master of Tourism from the Central Committee of ČSTV (The Czechoslovak union of psychical education). She retired in 1981. All her life she enjoyed handicrafts of all kinds. In 2019 she lived in the House of Peaceful Old Age of St. Kryštof in Ústí nad Orlicí.