Jaromír Čížek

* 1924

  • “When you got such diarrhea, no medicine was available, nothing at all. So we ate coffee grounds with a spoon, which we used to get there. So it was just a kind of chicory. We could only eat that. Risking that on the way [you needed to go to toilet – author´s note], so [you – author´s note] had to run away fast just next to the marching soldiers, who would not stop and an SS man was poking you and you were shitting liquid. Those were terribly embarrassing moments.“

  • “The old station in Berlin was bombed first and we saved ourselves by getting out half an hour [early – author´s note] or so. We could see in the back there was bombing already and we were just a little further on the railway behind Berlin. So we went down to Finsterwalde, they unloaded us there for work and we stayed there until the autumn 1945.“

  • Full recordings
  • 1

    Praha - Písnice, 20.06.2013

    duration: 04:43:05
    media recorded in project Stories of 20th Century
Full recordings are available only for logged users.

But they didn’t want to take me, but my brother, as I was just a small boy

Jaromír Čížek, 1942
Jaromír Čížek, 1942
photo: archiv Jaromíra Čížka

Jaromír Čížek was born on 17 June, 1924 in Dolní Beřkovice near Mělník in a former Czechoslovakia. He attended the elementary and secondary school and then attended the Higher Industrial College in Roudnice nad Labem. On 20 June, 1942 he got arrested in connection with so called students’ persecution in Roudnice and as he was not present on the school premises as most of his mates, the Czech officers came for him to Bechlín, where his family moved meanwhile. Together with his mates from industrial college and the gymnasium in Roudnice he was imprisoned in the Small Fortress of Terezín for alleged preparation of the assassination of Alfred Bauer, the director of the German school in Roudnice nad Labem. The witness worked in village commandos in Ústí nad Labem, in Lovosice and other places. On 26 or 27 November, 1942 he was released from the Small Fortress but had to report at the Kladno gestapo that sent him to forced labor in Hněvice near Roudnice nad Labem. Since December 1943 until 5 May, 1945 he worked on forced labor in Berlin, Finsterwalde (near the town of Cottbus) and finally in Davle. On 5 May, 1945 he left for Prague, where he met the Russian liberation army in Chuchle, which he joined and continued to Dobříš. In May 1945 he was active along with his school mates in Revolutionary national guard in Ústí nad Labem and after setting up an industrial college in the same town he started to attend secondary school again. After graduating from the college he started to work as an engineer in Ústí nad Labem, in Brodce nad Sázavou and in Prague, and then in the Research Institute of Powder Metalurgy and in jewelry store. He also worked as a secretary of the National Committee in Prague-Písnice, where he also lived in 2016.