cs_CZ de_DE en_GB es_CU fr_FR hr_HR hu_HU hy_AM ka_GE pl_PL ro_RO ru_RU sk_SK uk_UA 

Jiřina Tvrdíková (1923 - ????) - Biography

All rights to use these materials are implied by rights of particular projects. If you can supply materials to this witness, please, contact us.

"I slept. The snow underneath me melted in the morning and I saw a German soldier with his mouth wide open. I’m not afraid of dead bodies every since that."

Retired major Mrs. Jiřina Tvrdíková was born in Severová, on May 15th, 1923 in the village of Tiachevo in Carpathian Ruthenia. Her father was a Czechoslovak police constable and her mom came from Carpathian Ruthenia. Jiřina Tvrdíková attended medical school, but she could not finish her studies due to the Hungarian occupation of the Carpathian Ruthenia. She helped the Jews to dig out the Hungarian shelters. She later followed her father’s wish and left for the Soviet Union, to finish her studies with five other students. Unfortunately, their group was captured by the Soviet border patrol and they were all imprisoned for one and a half years in the towns of Arzamas and in Ivanov. Being absent at the court hearing she was sentenced to three years of labor in Ukhta gulag. During this time, the Army of Colonel Svoboda was established.  Tvrdíková's whole group was transported to the town of Dzambul in Kazakhstan, where they worked in the local kolkhoz. Tvrdíková entered the Svoboda Army in 1942 by Buzuluk, where she underwent military training. She enlisted in the first aid battalion by the 1st. brigade and the 1st. troop led by the Engel´s couple. She participated in the liberation of Kiev and on the Carpatho - Dukla offensive battle. She was seriously injured in 1944 in the town of Liptovsky Mikulas after being shot in the spine right next to the spinal cord. She lived to see the end of the war at the Poprad Town Hospital. After the war, she was transported by helicopter to Prague. She finally demobilized in 1946.Due to her weak health condition she was only able to work in unexacting professions. She was employed as a saleswoman

at a grocery store. She was forced to stay in the hospital often due to her war injuries (shrapnel in her body). She suffered from delusions caused by war trauma until 1955. Her brother John died during the Carpatho - Dukla battle has been called “Regiment child” when he was 15 years old. (He worked in the field kitchen)

Comments (0)

Comments can add only registerd researchers. You can register to research room here.



Registration to research room

Lost password?

SET AS HOMEPAGE  | RSS  | CONTACTS  |  (c) 2000 - 2019 Post Bellum